About Milada Cogginsová Zajíčková
Milada was born in 1975 in the former Czechoslovakia. She is a Czech native speaker with perfect understanding of spoken and written Slovak and a perfect command of English. Milada has been resident in the UK since 1997. Before setting up her business as a freelance linguist in 2001 Milada worked as a legal secretary for UK based law firms and a global investment management firm. She has practical knowledge of business and legal environments and also of the working procedures of the British government authorities, UK health care system and public service organisations.
Milada still keeps in touch with current affairs and happenings in the Czech Republic through frequent travel, reading of Czech books and watching Czech films. This helps her to observe how the modern Czech language is developing and any new expressions that have been adopted from foreign languages – very often from English.
Milada is a true film and theatre enthusiast. Watching British or other foreign films both in English and Czech helps her think about translation of dialogues for dubbing or subtitling. In 2016 Milada completed a course Writing for Performance at the Ruskin College in Oxford.
Below is a summary of Milada’s skills and qualifications.
- Translation from English into Czech (Milada’s mother tongue)
- Translation from Czech into English (Milada’s language of habitual use)
- Translation from Slovak into English (Slovak is Milada’s passive language)
- Interpreting – Consecutive and simultaneous (English – Czech / Slovak)
- Voice-over recordings in Czech and English with East European accent
- Transcription of English, Czech audio and video recordings
- Copywriting in English and Czech
- Creative writing
- Web site localisation into Czech and into English
- Market research
- Diploma in Translation – Part I and II (Institute of Linguists, 2001)
- DPSI – Diploma in Public Service Interpreting: English – Czech Law (Institute of Linguists, 2002)
- Paralegal Training (Institute of Legal Executives, 1999)
Professional memberships & registrations
- Qualified Member of The Institute of Translation and Interpreting
- Membership of the National Register of Public Service Interpreters
- Registered supplier of Certified Translations with the Consular section of the Czech Republic in London and Manchester
Subjects of knowledge
- Legal – commercial contracts, probate, court and police procedures, employment law, family law, criminal law, intellectual property, consumer protection law (Milada is a qualified para-legal)
- Business – accountancy, marketing, management, manufacturing, export/import, product information leaflets and labels
- Health – health care, pharmaceutical research, alternative medicine, mental health, antenatal and postnatal care, specialist patient reports and hospital test results
- Social care and social policies – EU social policy reports, child care arrangements
- Technical – civil engineering, car manufacturing, environment – trading with emissions quotas, energy efficiency of buildings, disposal of hazardous waste, packaging and manipulation of hazardous substances
- Humanities – psychology, sociology, politics, history, religion, culture, travel – geography, nature (tourist brochures, articles and TV guides)
- Film, TV, Theatre and literature
- Psychology, communication, linguistics